Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Mylingen Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?


1. Well, not much really. Just enjoy being finished with working on the album and doing some post-release PR work. I have some new material I've started working on slowly though…


2.In June you had released your first full length, musically how does it differ from your previous ep?


2. The album is perhaps a bit more melodic and not as harsh as the EP. The sound is a bit more polished and diverse. I didn't want to release an album where every song sound the same and I think I succeded in that.


3.Both the band name and some of the lyrics are inspired by Scandinavian Folklore, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic and which aspects of it that you cover lyrically?




3. Yes, I wanted to explore themes related to folklore and also having the lyrics in Swedish made that easier and felt like the right thing to do. I have always found old folk tales or folklore interesting and suitable to Metal Music but I can't say that it is a special interest or that I am an expert on the subject though.


4.You also mention existentialism as another topic you cover lyrically, are their any philosophers in this field that have an inspiration on your songwriting and lyrics?


4. I guess you can put two different categories on the lyrics on the album, one half is more about Scandinavin folklore, nature and stuff like that and the other half is more personal, introverted. I guess it could be called existensialism but specifically they deal with issues of getting old, sick, dying r nightmares and mental issues and the like. These thoughts have startet appearing more and more for me over the last few years - I guess it's a natural process of getting older myself (I turned 40 earlier this year) but also seeing relatives getting older and weaker and not as capable any longer and that starts some thought process in your own head abut who you are, how you live your life and what lies ahead in the future.


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?



5. Other than what I mentioned above, the song "Förlist" stands our a bit as it deals with a shipwreck and how the crew die a horrific death in the dark depths of the sea.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


6. It is originally an oil painting made by a German Romanticism painter in the mid 1800's. It is under public domain so I could use it and edit it a bit in Photoshop. I always liked paintings of nature, especially dramatic ones and I'm not a fan of most artworks used by bands today where everything is CGI och computer generated and plastic. I wanted to use something a bit more classy and beautiful. Other than that, there is no story behind the artwork, and it doesn't particually link to any song on the album, I just found it Beautiful and fitting the mood of the music.


7.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer working as a duo?


7. I've been a solo musician for almost 20 years now, with the exception of session musicians for mostly vocal work and I really like working on my own. That is not to say that Mylingen could be expanded to a full band some day. However, I enjoy working on Music the way I do and I'm not really interested in playing live, going on tours etc. I prefer Writing, composing and recording instead.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


8. I'm always looking for interesting partnerships, be it a label, distributor, other artists or creative people. It can be tiresome (and expensive) to do everything from recording to distributing, pr & marketing, production of physical media, copyright registration etc etc, so it would be nice to have someone else do all the boring and tedious stuff and just focusing on writing and recording. I have gotten a few offers before but didn't find them suitable so for the moment I am still very much unsigned and independent.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of progressive and extreme metal?


9. It's hard to say since the album just been released, but the response I've gotten so far have been great! Of course, as a new, unsigned band it is damn hard to get noticed amongst all tens of thousands of artist and bands that release Music each day but I'm trying my best!


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


10. I'm open to pretty much anything when it comes to Mylingen. What I would like to explore more on the next release is infusing more folk music or traditional Scandinavian sounds to the music while still maintaing a dark Metal backbone. I would like to incorporate more acoustic guitars and atmospheric elements.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles the band members are currently listening to nowadays?



11. I can only speak for my self here, but my taste in music is very broad. I listen to everything from 60's Pop music to Prog Rock to extreme Black Metal. What I can say though is that I rarely listen to new music, I prefer listening to the stuff I liked when I was growing up in the 90's and that's probably also a reason as to the way Mylingen sound a bit nostalgic and like it could have been recorded in the 90's.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


12. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this interview and I wish the readers all the best. Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/mylingenswe/

No comments:

Post a Comment