Thursday, April 18, 2013
1.Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
PC- Usually Lawrence will give me the name of the song along with the track so from the get go so I will have a rough understanding of what he's feeling in the music and how to approach the lyrics. For this band I mainly try to write lyrics that straddle the line between fantasy and reality. I attempt to visualize the scenario presented in the music and capture what I see down to the most grotesque detail.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
5. Currently the band members are in 2 different states, how do you organize the recording process?
PC- You would think communication would be difficult, especially with the 3 hour time difference but we are pretty good about working things out and being patient. For example, the song 'Dethroned' was probably our best test of team work, the song went through at least 3 different evolutions before both sides were completely happy.. in the end I think the results have been pretty amazing.
6. The new release came out of Manicidic Records, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support they have given you so
PC- I've owned and operated the label since its inception in 2005. 'An Apparition In Nocturnal Splendor' is the 30th release to date. Being a part-time label run by only myself, signing and committing to more than 2 or 3 projects at a time is difficult both financially and emotionally. I like to think that a small roster comprised of friends and personal projects can never fail.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been so far by fans of melodic black and death metal?
PC- So far so good! Of the reviews, comments and blurbs I've read so far every one of them has been positive. I'm astounded how many downloads our links have generated in just about 2 weeks of being live. Hopefully more will follow.
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band?
PC- I'm forever staying busy with music. I'm currently finishing up an EP to be released this summer with a grindcore band named Danny Tanner, also currently recording an EP with an OSDM/thrash band named Psionics to be released in the Fall as well as recording a demo with an international technical death metal band named Arcain.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
PC- I'm a huge music nerd, I have a collection of almost 4000 cds. I was raised on NJ hardcore and old school death metal. Recently, I've been stuck on obscure death metal albums and demos from 1989-1994 (Autopsy, Asphyx, Depravity, etc) and 90's black metal (Ulver, Dark Funeral, Abazagorath, etc). I love the resurgence of OSDM happening recently, bands like Horrendous, Vorum, Disma and Krypts have released some very punishing material as of late.
11. Does Occultism play any role in your music?
PC- Occultism is honestly a big part in most of the music and bands I've been apart of. Not necessarily from any kind of religious stand point but more so in the general themes, beliefs and the thought provoking in which they cause. I like to think that there is so much in which we have yet to understand, thoughts like that drive me study and write about what they could be.
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
PC- Beer, Wine and Spirits. I'm a certified WSET and Cicerone. Booze pays my bills hahaha.
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?