Sunday, March 5, 2017

Blood of Angels Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Currently, we are focused on promoting and getting the word out for our upcoming EP release “Rise of the Fallen Gods.”  I have also began writing a song for a side project I plan on releasing later this year.  I have also been writing new songs for the next Blood of Angels release which will be a full album.

2.You have an upcoming out in the springtime, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I would describe the musical sound as being heavily influenced by the Swedish melodic death metal bands.   I have been a fan of that sound since I first heard it back in 95’ when I went to Sweden for the first time.  I heard bands like At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, and In Flames.  I couldn’t understand why these bands weren’t dominating the metal scene around the world.

3.Your lyrics cover Norse Mythology, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

Although I don’t look it, my grandfather immigrated to the United States from Norway in the late 1940’s.  From the time, I was in my early teenage years, I have always been fascinated with Scandinavian history.  I know they already are many great bands who have tackled the subject.   I wanted to do my own twist on it.  We will be moving on to different subjects in upcoming releases.  Blood of Angels isn’t about just one thing as a band.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Blood Of Angels'?

There isn’t really any concrete meaning behind the name Blood of Angels.  It probably comes from my disdain for organized religion.  I feel it is a cool name for an extreme metal band.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

We have not played any shows yet.  So far, we have been a studio project.  In my former band Foreshadow, I really have a lot of great memories from our South American tour.  The shows that stood out the most was the Calarca Metal Fest, and the show we played in Paute, Ecuador. The Calarca Metal Fest was in an awesome theater that was filled with high energy metal heads singing all the songs with us.  In Paute, while we played, I witnessed two simultaneous circle pits.  There was not a person at the Our stage show isn’t very theatrical.  It is about us as musicians making the show by using the empty space on the stage, and connecting with as many fans as possible. 

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the ep is released?
Not after this one, I got a side project in mind that I would like to do and have released this year.  We will be spending 2018 recording the full length second Blood of Angels album.  After that is released, we look forward to doing a lot of festival shows in as many places around the world as possible.

7.The ep is coming out on 'Hollywood Collective', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

The owner of the label Steven Veninga is a longtime friend of mine.  He used to be the booking agent for a club in Gainesville, FL called the Backstage Lounge. I used to play there regularly with my former band a lot.  He made the big move a couple of years ago, to Hollywood and we have stayed in touch.  Just over a year ago, he called me telling me he was going to start a label and asked if I was interested in joining it.  Without hesitation, I said yes.  Hollywood Collective has many other awesome punk and metal bands like General Bastard and Circus of Power.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and death metal?

So far, the reviews have been awesome, and I feel a lot of fans of black and death metal music who have heard what we do really like it.  Most radio stations, magazine, and blogs we have submitted to has been very supportive.

9.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

Michael Stewart (Blood of Angels Bassist) currently has a band called Neverbroken that is awesome.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I got a lot of big plans for future albums.  They will tackle different subjects and themes.  I don’t want to give away what they are at this moment.  Musically, no matter what we do, it will undoubtedly be metal.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Growing up, Iron Maiden and Slayer are my two biggest influences.  I always thought if I could combine Slayers aggression with Iron Maiden’s beautiful melodies it would be something awesome.   As it is evident, I am largely influenced by the Swedish melodic death metal bands.  I mostly listen to the same bands that influence me.  I have also been on a George Gershwin kick lately, and I have been listening to a lot of American jazz.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Outside of music I am a big kid in a lot of ways.  I can normally be found hanging out at Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando.  I am a big movie fan.  I am a huge Star Wars nerd.  I have read a lot of the books, and currently I am reading the new Star Wars cannon.  I enjoy going to comic-cons, I am also really into art, especially the French impressionist era with Van Gogh, Monet, and Gauguin.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I think we covered everything.  You can check on the latest news on our website  http://www.bloodofangels.net.  I have hearing and chatting with anyone from around the world.  You could do that on our social pages facebook.com/bloodofangels1, twitter.com/bloodofangels1, and our  Number One Music Page.  http://www.numberonemusic.com/bloodofangels.

No comments:

Post a Comment