Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Lucynine Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
 Hi! Sure. I've always been a hungry listener of any genre and also as a musician and composer I've never been able to follow a single line, even if I've always been attracted by what's obscure and violent. So, after playing in many bands, I decided to put on a solo project as a multi-instrumentalist and composer that would have allowed me to work in total self-sufficiency (I'm always on the move, so it's hard for me to keep on a proper band). There comes Lucynine.

2.You have your first full length coming out towards the end of July, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
 I'd say it's more sincere. It's not angry and dark because the genre wants to, but because this record tells true stories, with the right mood.

3.From 2013 to 2020 there was no music being released, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?
 Well, no music has been released under the monicker Lucynine, but I worked on various projects with my own name. Most of all I worked on two short movies: “Block E, 4th Floor” (script, direction, music, everything apart the acting voice) and “Engine of Time” (only audio and soundtrack).

4.The lyrics on the new recording are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the songwriting?
 “Amor Venenat” means “Love Envenoms” in Latin. I started working on this record after I lost my husband for a cancer in 2018. We've been together for 11 years and I fell into depression and felt the need of throwing a lot of shit out of me. This album was very therapeutic in that sense... I never had an easy relationship with love sphere: born homosexual in a strict Catholic family, affairs with men much older than me, not always easy to manage, then the loss of the one I had chosen to share my life with... So I really needed to shout out a lof of regret and pain. And the concept the album is built around is a sort of portrait of me. Well, a kind of portrait of me in that very moment.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lucynine'?
 The first half of the monicker Lucynine comes both from Lucifer both from the famous song by The Beatles “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” since a psychedelic component has always been relevant in my music. Number nine is both a magical number by itself, both a “six” upside down, to remind to the Number of the Beast. It's rock'n'roll, isn't it?

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
 It's meant to include more concepts in the same picture: pain (the rope), sex/love (the man naked), but also the caducity of old age, religion (the red light reminds of vestments of a catholic cardinal). All these concepts are related to each other in the album.

7.You work mostly as a solo artist, would you be open to expanding into a full line up on future releases?
 I don't think so. I could think of a band for a live situation or many featured artists on next releases, but not a band.

8.You also have a few quests on the new album, can you tell us a little bit more about who they are and also their contributions to the recording?
 Sure! They all are famous actors and dubbers here in Italy (Dario Penne, for example is the Italian voice of Anthony Hopkins, Michael Caine, Tommy Lee Jones, Christopher Lloyd and many others). You see, I'm very bound to theatre, I work as a stage photographer, I collaborate with actors in many ways and most of my friends are actors too, so, since I wrote things that were meant to be spoken and not sung, I thought the best actors I knew would have been the best choice for those verses to be played.
I know that contributions could be a limitation for not Italian speaking people, but I hope their curiosity will win on this and push them to search for the meaning or... just listening to the whole album enjoying it.

9.Earlier this year you also released an ep tribute to 'Titor', what was the decision behind the tribute?
 It all started as a quarantine joke and ended in a serious double single. Titor have been both dear friends of mine, both one of my favourite hardcore punk bands ever. So it came out quite naturally.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of experimental, avant garde and extreme metal?
 I still have to understand it, because my 2013 EP didn't have much promotion, so “Amor Venenat” is the first time I have a serious promoting agency, a serious label, etc. Let's see what happens. I really can say I did all the best I could do.

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future/
 I'm really insecure so I never expect too much and try to enjoy everything good happens to me. So I can't make predictions. What I really really dream is to be called for a movie soundtrack.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays/
 I listen to many different genres, from classical music to jazz, from trip hop to crust punk, so it could turn into a very long reply ahahah! What I can say is that The Beatles changed my life when I was a child, Iron Maiden changed it again when I was 11, Devin Townsend when I was 16, Meshuggah when I was 18, Portishead when I was 20, and so on. In my shelves you can find from Rachmaninoff to Dark Funeral, from David Bowie to Gorillaz. These days I'm really into Bandcamp and looking for unknown good bands that do amazing things with nearly no budget. Maybe today you can discover better things from little labels or DIY scenery than among big majors. Well, maybe not only today!

13.What are some of your non musical interests?
 Literature, art, cinema, all that involves expression. I myself am a photographer and videomaker, so my different jobs in music and creativity really overlap with my interests. And it's a huge privilege today.

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for the time you spent with me and for your interest in what I do. I wish people will enjoy my music and find out what's behind it and maybe... pieces of real life that deserve thoughts and meditation.

www.lucynine.com
www.facebook.com/lucynine
www.instagram.com/lucynine.official
https://lucynine.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment