Monday, January 28, 2019

Damnation Army Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?

Everything happened rather quickly from idea to finished product. I didn’t think I would do any more Damnation Army albums, ever. However a seed was planted and then I just decided I wasn't finished with this project. I wrote, recorded and produced the album in 4 days.

2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

I think it is a bit of a mishmash of all my previous releases without really sounding like any of them. Faster and more rough without losing the sinister melodic parts.

3.This is your first release in 10 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?

A lot of things in life got in the way and I lost interest for a while in producing music and even listening to it. Luckily that decline turned and I’m probably more eager than ever creating music. I started another project called Isgärde in 2016 and have released a couple of albums. Also a Dungeon Synth project called Vetraheimr. Both can be found on bandcamp and have Facebook pages for the ones interested in checking that out.

4.You have also covered a good amount of satanic and occult topics with your music, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?

While that is only a limited version of my overall view it got my interested at a very young age. I was very much into exploring anything in a spiritual sense and still am. It is a big part of my life. Spiritual exploration.

5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

It is a bit hard to narrow down without writing a whole essay on the matter. I like to let the listener decide what they think and make up their own idea what it is about. I am not a big fan of explaining neither music or lyrics as I leave that for the pretentious musicians to do.

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Damnation Army'?

Quite frankly it was a name a friend of mine blurred out just before I got started with the project. It didn't leave my mind so I decided that it was a fitting name for what I was doing and went with it.

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

Yes the artwork was made by Tim Nordstedt Design. It is a friend of mine and you can check out his work on his Facebook page. He also did the new logo for Damnation Army and is currently working on the rest of the art for a physical release. As we work closely on my other project Isgärde as well it was no question about it that he would do the artwork for this as well. He presented me with the art and I thought it was great for the album.

8.With this project your record everything by yourself but have experience playing in full line up's, is this project more personal to you?

I record all my projects myself. I have no interest in being in a band situation. For many musicians it is to be in a band that makes you want to create music, for me it is the opposite. Throughout the years I have been asked to be a part of live line ups, recording instruments for bands and joining existing bands. I have turned down every offer.

9.Currently you are unsigned but have worked with a label before in the past, are you open to working with another label again in the future?

Yes I am. The only reason I went independent with this release was to be able to publish it when I felt like it. If any label is interested they are welcome to contact me.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?

As it has not been out for so long I don’t really know. Reviews so far has been good and I have seen many downloads on pirate sites. That is not really a great way to show support.

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I just keep doing what I am doing. There are no grandiose plans or silly mental projections. I will be doing lots of music though, that is for sure!

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on the music of 'Damnation Army'?

It all comes from what I grew up with. 90’s Scandinavian black metal and some other genres at the time as well. I don't keep up with what is current. Many reviews indicate that I have many Dissection vibes and they are very true in stating that.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Feel free to check out the new album and my other projects mentioned as well. Thanks for the interview.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment