Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Cunning Man Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


A Cunning Man is one man metal project combining different styles of extreme music. Expect blast beats and tremolo picked guitar lines, but also piano, strings and clean vocals sung with a Scottish accent.



2.In January you had released on ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?


I wanted to fuse all my favourite things about music. The sounds range from Black and Melodeath Metal to Modern Classical and Post Rock.

Everything is shaped by my own experience living in Scotland.



3.Your lyrics cover some Occult topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in Occultism?


Each song title is named after a Renaissance period Grimoire.

As the EP title: Practical Applications of Theurgy hints, the content is concerned with different Occult and spiritual topics. These range from The Shared Unconsciousness to Folk Hymns.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'A Cunning Man'?


Cunning folk were the esoteric advisors of the common people throughout Medieval and Renaissance Europe.

I wanted a name which reflected my interest in this history. I also wanted it to reflect that the project was the work of a single person.



5.On the ep you had recorded almost everything by yourself, are you open to working with a full band or do you prefer to remain solo?


At the moment I’d like to continue doing the majority of the work myself, especially the composition. For the next EP though, I think I’ll be bringing on board a guitarist.


.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


At current I’ve only been sending the EP out to press. I’m comfortable handling the distribution and PR myself at current.

I’m very interested in working with a label for future releases though.



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of melodic and extreme metal?


Broadly positive at current, which is very exciting. I’m really enjoying receiving feedback on my work and connecting with fellow metal fans.



8.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?


I’m currently studying music so most of my time goes towards that. A Cunning Man is my only project at the moment.



9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?


The next release will be another EP. After that I'll consider a full length. Pending possible label support.

I’m always looking to improve my compositional and song writing skills, so expect increasingly complex music going forward.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Iron Maiden’s Brave New World is what really inspired my initial love for music.

My influences include Katatonia, Evergrey, Shade Empire and Eternal Tears Of Sorrow. I love my metal as melodic as possible with lots of different instrumentation.

At the moment I’ve been enjoying the new releases from Harakiri for the Sky, Insomnium and Dark Tranquillity.



11.What are some of your non musical interests?


I love gaming when I have the time and play a lot of RPGs. I’m also big into table top gaming with friends.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks very much for the interview and for reviewing the EP on the site.

You can expect a new EP in the early months of Summer.

https://www.facebook.com/acunningmanmetal/

No comments:

Post a Comment