Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chiral Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
- Hi, I’m Teo and I’m the one and only member of this project, named “Chiral”.
This project was actually born at the beginning of this year, but the idea of this one-man band and the tracks on “Winter Eternal” are pretty old!
The band was not born as a serious project, however when I listened to the first complete song I understood that I should have shared my music with other people, so here I am!

2.How would you describe your musical sound?
Good question!
I think my sound is a melting pot of many different musical genres: progressive rock & metal first of all, these are my background.
Then obviously Death Metal, Black Metal, Hard Rock and even Fusion and some jazz stuff, sometimes.
But I think that now my sound is much closer to the Swedish style melodic death/black metal of the early 90’s.

3.Recently you have released a single that was in the more raw black metal direction, do you see yourself working with this genre more in the future?
Absolutely! I’ll give you a little preview: the next release, probably an EP, will be on the same path of my latest single (Atto I: Oblio) which it’ll be part of the EP itself.
It was very nice for me the recording session of “Atto I”, and I’ve also appreciated the final result of the song. So I said to myself: Why not to try to record an entire EP in this way?

4.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
Basically the lyrical themes of the demo are about darkness, nature and love (in a way)….
The lyrics of Atto I: Oblio (my new single) is mainly about suicide.
Instead the lyrics I’m writing for the full length are based on Atheism, pain, solitude and sadness.
As you may notice I’m full of happy themes! Hahaha

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Chiral'?
This will be funny!
In a nutshell Chiral means that a molecule is not superimposable on its mirror image. It’s a Chemical law.
But, this is the funny part, I got the inspiration watching an episode of “Breaking Bad”, the famous TV series, in which the protagonist talks about Chirality!

6.Currently there is only 1 member involved with the project, are you planning on working with other musicians in the future or do you chose to remain solo?
Honestly, for the moment I prefer to remain a solo project. But I have to confess that on my next works probably there will be a few special guests. One of them is a good lead guitarist, Ludovico Cuoghi, who will play guitar solos in some tracks.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
No, I haven’t received any interest from any labels yet. However, the idea to remain independent is fine to me. But if I receive any good offer I will think about it.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and death metal?
It may sound strange but I’m noticing that my music is more appreciated by black metal fans, I don’t really understand why. Hahaha
It’s not a problem to me, but I think that my EP (Winter Eternal) sounds very melodic death.
Anyway, assumed that Chiral is a brand new project, it has only 3 months of life, the feedbacks received till today are not so bad. However, I hope I could spread my music as much as I can and receive as many feedback and approvals as possible.

9.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?
Nope. The Chiral project, and also my real job (I’m a mechanic) takes me a lot of time so I don’t have it more to dedicate to other projects.

10.When can we expect a full length album?
For a full length album you have to wait at least until this winter, because the recording of a full length takes a lot of time when you’ve to play every single instrument by yourself; but in the meantime there’s going to be another release.

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Certainly the band that has influenced me more of any other are Opeth! I think Akerfeldt is a fucking genius, I love their music upon any other, no doubt.
I’m also very influenced by Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Insomnium, Wolves In The Throne Room (their music is completely unique and so special) and Thulcandra (a great German band, maybe a bit underrated). As I said before now I’m very influenced by the Swedish death/black metal of the early 90’s, bands like Dissection, Eucharist, Vinterland, Sacramentum, Unanimated, Edge of Sanity and even Naglfar are milestones to me.
I also like other musicians and/or bands from other kind of music, like the Pat Metheny Group (it may sound a bit strange but I like them very much), Dream Theater, Cynic, Eric Clapton and so on…
Nowadays I re-discover the first stuff by Ulver, their early works sounds great.
I’m also listening very often to Omiun Gatherum and Autumn Leaves, which was an extremely underrated melodic death band from Denmark. Try to check out their last work “As Night Conquers Day”!



12.What are some of your non musical interests?
When I don’t play or write some music I like watching TV series, traveling and drink a (two is even better) good beer!
I’ve another hobby in the field of music and it’s to work on my little home studio (WeakLight Home Studio) in which I’ve obviously produced my music.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
First of all, for the one who don’t know me I wanna say that they can follow me on my Facebook profile (https://www.facebook.com/ChiralItaly) or my Bandcamp page (https://chiral27.bandcamp.com/), in which you can download for free my stuff!
I also wanna thank all the people who support me, especially my family, my girlfriend, my friends and a few people met on the net who help me in a way or another, and the ones I hope will support me in the future.
Finally I’d like to thank you for the interview and this ‘zine for this opportunity.
Hail!!!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Instagram
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
Twitter
Website
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment