Wednesday, January 23, 2013
1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
Totengeflüster is a Bandproject, that is leaded by Totleben (Songwriting- Guitars, Bass & Orchestration + Artwork) and Narbengrund (Concept & Vocals).
We combine the coldness and anger of black metal with elements of classical music to get an aggressive - cinematic feeling for our music.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Totengeflüster plays Symphonic Black Metal. We also use a lot of Sounds and Samples to get a deeper atmosphere than „just“ with instruments. We try to create a „Cinematic – Symphonic Black Metal Atmosphere“.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Themes are desolation, sorrow, death & insanity. Narbengrund describes his art as a multi- layered lyrical statement that can be read as a “simple” ghost story as well as a diary of a mentally ill person or as a bridge to our surrounding world and our thoughts and feelings about the way of “living”.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
"Totengeflüster" is german for „Whisper Of The Dead“ so – Narbengrund an I – Totleben wanted to have something special and to choose a german band name is something that no one does without thinking of it. I believe… If you hear our Music you can hear the whisper of the dead, so it’s the most fitting band name for us. If you try to hide especially bad feelings or emotions and ban those into a dark cellar room to declare them as dead… They may come back …more fearsome than before – they will whisper to your soul … whisper their vile whishes.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
we have never played live with Totengeflüster, but we plan to do as soon as possible.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for the music?
for a newcomer it’s the best way to figure out how our band is going to be like instead of being a simple toy and to bleed out for bigger bands that have bigger standing in the metal scene and to feed the bigger ones. We are not here to sell our souls…
Totengeflüster for now is like cancer - it needs to grow…
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of symphonic black metal?
well, we’ve just started – but we already got good feedback to our stuff. On the internet people like our work we’ve done so far – like the official videoclip or the artwork we‘ve shown on our homepage. In the last years a lot of the once so majestic Symphonic Black Metal Bands got lost. A lot of other very different Metal subgenres where hyped and sold out. Narbengund and Totleben grew up with this music, witch is now left for dead … We regret this development and want to inject new (of course frostbitten!) life to the dying Symphonic Black Metal Genre.
9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Narbengrund has a kind of strange dark acoustic side project #++**… arrgh =)^^…?! fuck!!!.. and Schattendorn plays drums in a German Heavy Metal Band
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
nearly the whole composition and production of “Vom Seelensterben” was done by Totleben - this was the starting point for Totengeflüster.
The first step is now done. We’re forcing to involve more ideas of all Bandmembers and try to add their talent to our Spirit. Narbengrund has a very great talent in writing deep emotional lyrics and performs them authentic and wants to combine more of these emotional feelings with the music to create a darker more desperate atmosphere. Schattendorn is technically talented on his drums - he is involved into the actual Metal scene. Which is giving us all a fresh breath to inhale.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Each member of the Band has his own Taste of Music – we all love extreme Music and have a few bands in common. Schattendorn likes fast and aggressive music like Dark Funeral, Watain and Behemoth. Totlebens favourites often are the Symphonic Metal Bands of the 90’s like old Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Therion, Bal-Sagoth, Ancient & Vesania. Narbengrund likes Bands like Naglfar, Lifelover, Dornenreich, Shining, Bethlehem, Moonspell .
12. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
we are not religious at all – but we cannot deny that we have an interest in occultism.
13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Totleben likes nature photography, graphic design and psychology
Narbengrund enjoys good drinks, music and philosophical discussions
Schattendorn likes fast cars & woman.
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks to YOU for our FIRST!! Totengeflüster Interview – this will be legendary! so yeah, all who read that interview may note, that we will release our debut album “Vom Seelnsterben” on February 1st 2013. check our homepage for news & enjoy good art!